The basics:
Did you know that the moment you publish, i.e upload it to the
internet or in print, you are covered by copyright laws? A copyrights is
automatic when your work is created. It just has to be in a hard copy form, and
not just in your head. You have more protection if you register your it
officially though. But either way, if someone copies your work off the internet
without giving you credit, you have legal recourse.
Minors can hold copyrights also. The only limitation is on selling
their copyright as they are not of a legal age to make a contract. So if you
are under 18, make sure your parents do any dealings when it comes to buying
and selling copyrighted material.
If you are an employee of a company, they hold rights to anything
you make on work time or for your employer. What that means is, don't use your
work computer to work on your music, program, or any other project. You might
lose all rights to it if you do.
What is not covered: names or titles. Anything that has not been
“recorded.” Ideas in your head. We have all had them. I great idea that then
someone else comes out with a year later. I thought of Amazons Whispersink
years ago! But I never did anything with it. Lesson learned.
In the next article I will cover specific copyright concepts like
how it effects your YouTube videos or website pictures.
Citation: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf
Citation: http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf
No comments:
Post a Comment