Friday, October 19, 2012

Twitter for Marketing...part 1


A quick introduction:

I held out on Twitter until just recently. I was annoyed with all the news about which celebrity said something inappropriate on twitter. I thought it was all about people saying things I didn't really care about. But since starting this blog and its associated Twitter account I am learning that it is a lot more than that. I am also learning how Twitter works in regards to advertising and getting more page views. If you are new to Twitter there are a few things you need to know to make Twitter work for you.

The first is hash tags. You have likely already seen a lot of hash tags if you watch TV or roam around the internet. Hash tags look like this: #word . You see them on Facebook or on overlays during your favorite TV shows. Hash tags allow people to search for posts about topics. So if you search #blog on Twitter you will get posts that have to do with blogging. It is a great way for people to be able to find your post if they are interested in your topic. Don’t put more than one or two in your post.

The next is what I look at as reciprocity. There are a lot of people on twitter trying to make a name for themselves. You never know who is going to follow your Twitter feed. If it is a person or business that has something in common with what you tweet about, then follow them also. It gives both of you more visibility. Re-tweet things that you find interesting or relevant

The last is @ tags. If you are talking about someone’s product, website, or concepts, include an @ tag for their Twitter feed. This lets them know that you are talking about them, and if you are reviewing their product, they may ask you to review other products. They may also provide you products to review if you have enough followers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment